Saturday, March 17, 2012

St. Patrick's Day: The OP Gets Crafty

This was our very first craft type project, so I wasn't sure what to expect – but the boys had a great time and it really did turn out nicely.

Perhaps a little too nicely.

We got started on our own version of this project yesterday. I went digging around in the Crayolas to see what we had available which amounted to one green crayon and one blue-green crayon (which was certainly more blue than green), but then I discovered some dark green crayons we took home the one time the boys and I ate in a restaurant* so it started to seem a bit more do-able.

I added some white and what turned out to be indigo (the "blue" crayons from the aforementioned restaurant) and we were good to go.


There aren't any pictures of my guys actually getting crafty since I didn't have enough hands to also hold a camera, but it was both a fun and reasonably civilized time decorating wax paper with crayon shavings ("spa-rinkles", anyone?).

I pressed the paper last night after the boys went to bed and cut out shamrocks while they ate breakfast this morning. Word of the day today was definitely "shamrock". Also, they seemed pretty excited to see the "paper" they made.

I strung everything together while Nate and Seth napped this afternoon. I'm not sure Martha Stewart would approve of my use of ordinary kitchen string, but it's what we went with**:


I hung up the finished product in their favorite looking-out window. It was still fairly overcast*** at this point and the camera (or my skills with the camera) didn't capture how pretty it really was. 



I couldn't wait for everyone to get up and see the finished result.

Of course, they were suitably impressed****.

Perhaps a little too impressed as it turned out:



Er... so 'dis not part of craft-time then? 'Cause I feels pretty crafty right now.

- L. 

PS. Since Martha lives in a world where things turn out perfectly, she forgot to mention that you might need to take another quick pass with your iron after you cut out your shapes. Otherwise, this was a great craft and really turned out nicer than I was able to photograph.

• • • • • • • 

*No, I haven't gotten around to that post yet.

**Everything about this project was pretty easy, except for stringing it together. Kitchen string aside, I need to get some better skills in this area since the stringing took longer than the rest of the project combined.

***Also, my windows are dirty.

****They had it off the window faster than you can say "shamrock".

No comments:

Post a Comment